Week in Review - 2011-31

I am currently working on a JSF2 application at work, and I mostly use Firefox during the development process because I use SeleniumIDE as a development/productivity tool to quickly log in as different users and drive the browser to a certain point. Imagine my surprise when I found out that something didn't work in IE8. I could see IE reporting a JavaScript error, but the details were useless. Even with the developer tools in IE, I couldn't identify what or where the error was. This page didn't have any JavaScript written by me - its all the JSF generated code. All I could do is use the process of elimination and trial and error to rearrange the page and subtlety change code  until it worked. Its hard to believe that IE is still in this state, especially when faced with the competition from Chrome (built in developer tools) and Firefox (add-on FireBug for developer tools).

I'm using VMWare Fusion on my MacBook AIR to run an Ubuntu server for testing purposes. I've set the network to NAT so I can SSH to it and administer it. I've shared folders on the MacBook host with the Ubuntu guest (available in /mnt/hgfs/). Now all I need to do is set up the software so I can perform the tests I need.

Popular posts from this blog

Using the Crystal Reports Java API to generate PDF

No Scope registered for scope request

Using Selenium WebDriver to select JSF/PrimeFaces selectOneMenu options